Classical Guitar History
Andrés Segovia (1893 - 1987)
World famous virtuoso 20th century classical guitarist. Born in Linares, Jaén, resided in Andalucía and Madrid. Notable for:
- having brought the (classical) guitar out from relative obscurity and into the spotlight of 20th century music
- transcribing a lot of music for the guitar
- affecting the design of the modern classical guitar
- Bio of Renato Bellucci (Various facts on Segovia)
- In the house of Andres Segovia (1967) (Documentary)
- Andrés Segovia : The Paris Film (1954) (Film with Segovia playing)
- Andrés Segovia y sus grabaciones de los años 50 en Nueva York (Podcast)
Francisco Tárrega (1852 - 1909)
Francesc d’Assís Tàrrega i Eixea (original Catalan name), born in Valencia.
Composer and guitarist known for many of his compositions, and considered as one of the greats.
Many of Isaac Albéniz’s piano pieces were transcribed by Tàrrega for the guitar. It is said that Isaac himself liked the guitar versions more than his own.
One of the most famous pieces from the classical guitar repertoire; Asturias, was originally composed for the piano by Albéniz.
- Recuerdos de la Alhambra
- Capricho Árabe
- Gran Vals (Used as basis for the Nokia tune!)
- Asturias (by Catalan pianist Albéniz from Camprodon)
- Huellas de Tárrega (Short Catalan documentary)
- Isaac Albéniz - Wikipedia
- Francesc Tàrrega
Fernando Sor (1778 - 1839)
Ferran Sor i Muntades (original Catalan name), born in Barcelona.
Composer and guitarist with an extensive body of work left after him. Known for his many studies and exercises.
- Gran Vals
- Theme varies et 12 Minuets, Op. 11: Menuet No. 1
- Voyons si c’est ça - 6 pieces, Op. 45: No. 5 Andante
Federico Torroba (1891 - 1982)
Federico Moreno Torroba, born and died in Madrid.
- Castillos de España: Torija
Heitor Villa-Lobos (1887 - 1959)
Born in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Also known under Hector.
Composer and guitarist.
Villa-Lobos: get to know Brazil’s greatest composer | Classical music | The Guardian
- Suite populaire Brésilienne, W020: II. Schottish-chôro
- Prelude No. 1 - Melodía lírica
Miguel Llobet (1878 - 1938)
Miguel Llobet i Solés (original Catalan name), born in Barcelona.
Composer and guitarist.
- El Testament d’Amelia
- El Noi de la Mare
- Cançò del Lladre
Dionisio Aguado (1784 - 1849)
Born Dionisio Aguado y García in Madrid.
Composer and guitarist. Also known for having written a learning manual and method for guitar.
- Manuel Ponce
- Giulio Regondi